Q. What type of CDL driving jobs are available, and what are the differences?

A. We focus on Over the Road (OTR) training as our main competency, although training is suited for most if not all types of CDL driving positions (1) Over the road (OTR) is normally coast to coast, all 48 states and Canada. (2) Dedicated is going from point A to point B on a regular basis, usually over 500 miles. (3) Regional jobs are usually within a 5-7 state area from your employers driving terminal. (4) Less-Than-Load (LTL) usually is local to regional freight, normally associated with UPS or FedEx type delivery companies.

Q. What if I have DUI/DWI record, or a felony?

A.Qualifications for employment vary by trucking company, but typically any felony in the past 7 years or a DUI/DWI in the past 5 years will mean you can not be employed with a national carrier.  However, these are not the only companies hiring drivers and we will work hard to ensure we have pursued every option available to anyone interested in becoming a driver.  While we cannot promise we will be successful, we do promise to try every avenue available to help you find a job. If it's not possible, we will be honest and will not enroll anyone that is not employable in this industry.

Q. What kind of income can I expect as a Professional Truck Driver?

A. ​According to the Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay for Heavy and Tractor Trailer Truck Drivers, was $40,260 in 2015.  In Texas, the median pay was $41,300 in 2015. Some schools may claim you can achieve higher income, and in some cases, this may be true, but we want to give you a normal, realistic expectation for your income potential.  As the economy grows, the demand for goods will increase and more truck drivers will be needed to keep supply chains moving.  You can get more detailed information on earnings in Texas by clicking this link.


Q. What kind of regulatory requirements are there for truck drivers?

A.To operate in interstate commerce, a driver must be at least 21 years of age, pass a DOT physical examination every 2 years, and submit to testing for drug and alcohol use, including unannounced random testing.  Drivers of all trucks with gross-weight ratings of more than 26,000 pounds and drivers of vehicles carrying any quantity of hazardous materials, that are required to display warning signs, must obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) by passing tests of their knowledge of safety regulations and their ability to drive large trucks.  Drug and alcohol convictions or combinations of various serious driving violations can draw temporary or even permanent loss of driving privileges.

Q. Do I need to be a U.S citizen?

A.You will need to provide a valid Texas Driver License photo identification and Social Security card, and you will be required to provide proof that you are allowed to work in the United States.

Q. Will I have my Class A CDL license at the end of the program?

A. If you pass the state Skills test, then YES, you will have your Class A or B CDL.

Q. What are the normal working conditions for a professional driver?

A.Truck drivers travel in all parts of the country, through heavy city traffic and the wide open spaces, through mountain passes and blistering deserts. They operate in good weather and bad, and during day and night hours. The work is sometimes difficult and often demanding, both from a physical, as well as a mental standpoint, but while it is a challenging job, it is a financially rewarding career.